Senior Strategic Consultant
October 2014 – Present
- Delivering talent-driven services to support business, civic, and technology development initiatives. Efforts focused on strategic growth objectives sustained through innovative productivity and emerging solutions. Projects coordinated with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Arlington County, The City of Annandale, MoDev Conferences, The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and Vans Shoes/Vanity Fair Corporation. Efforts recognized with a Platinum 2017 MarCom (Marketing Communications) Award.
Senior Communications Consultant, Dougherty and Associates, Inc.
January 2011 – October 2014
- Managed communications outreach and digital media content for the Department of Veterans Affairs’ career development website hosted at MyCareerAtVA.va.gov (Archived). Digital content development strategies led to multiple program recognitions: 2012 Harvard Kennedy School of Government Bright Ideas Award, Bersin by Deloitte What Works Award, and Workforce Management Optimus Award.
Senior Consultant, Booz Allen Hamilton
March 2008 – January 2011
- Delivered strategic communications counsel and services to Federal government clients, with a focus on planning, implementation and assessment of outreach initiatives. Highlights included developing the first social media program for the Department of Defense Military Health System and writing content for Health.mil.
Director, FD Dittus Communications
April 2007 – January 2008
- Provided public relations and public affairs consulting services for a schools-based childhood obesity initiative conducted through a partnership among the American Council for Fitness and Nutrition, the American Dietetic Association Foundation, and PE4Life.
Press Officer, National Education Association
October 2005 – January 2007
- Directed strategic communication and media outreach throughout the United States to support the education advocacy goals of the 3.2 million-member Association and its state and local affiliates. Provided press support for the Read Across America Gulf Coast recovery tour, the 10,000 attendee Representative Assembly, and an NEA Gala honoring former President Bill Clinton.
Communications Specialist, Guilford County Schools
May 2001 – October 2005
- As a leading District Relations team member, developed and implemented Guilford County Schools’ communications plans. Provided press support for No Child Left Behind assessment testing results, school reform initiatives, and visits by President George Bush, PTA Spokesperson Kathey Ireland, and American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino. At the time, Guilford County Schools was North Carolina’s 3rd largest school district with 67,000 students, 112 schools and 8,000 employees.
Partner, A & T Industries
January 1997 – July 1999
- Co-founded a regional moving company with efforts focusing on development of corporate image, marketing strategy and logistical planning. Served corporate clients, such as VTel, the Austin Apartment Association, and Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams.
Congressional Fellow, US Senate
August 1996 – December 1996
- Completed a graduate fellowship in the Office of U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman. Program coordinated through The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars and focused on Federal education policy.
Commissioner, New Mexico Commission on Higher Education
June 1994 – May 1996
- Served a two-year gubernatorial appointment participating in the long-range planning and oversight of New Mexico’s higher education system.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Eastern New Mexico University
August 1995 – May 1996
- Taught two sections of introductory public speaking with 25 students in each section. Prepared lectures, designed public speaking overview and evaluated student performance.
President, Associated Students of Eastern New Mexico University
June 1994 – May 1996
- Twice elected Student Government President. Held oversight responsibility for $1.5 million in appropriation recommendations, successfully lobbied the New Mexico Legislature, represented student body to university Board of Regents.